Birth Injuries and Wrongful Death Birth in Georgia
No injury or death is less than painful. One of the most painful experiences a family can endure is the loss of a child. I know, my family lost a child due to Medical Malpractice, and, as result my only brother died at 3 days old and his death was a senseless tragedy that nobody would answer for not even to this day. We know exactly what happened and that doesn’t make it any better. It is still a burn that never goes away and a loss that you feel every single day of your life. The only good thing that I can think that came out of this situation is that I now fight for those who are less fortunate and empathize with those in the same or similar situations. The other good thing is that there has been an evolution in this process in how the law handles these types of case. Back when my brother died, over 40 years ago, our family was told that we could get more compensation for a cow that was killed in a cattle truck than we could for the loss of my brother. That is not the case today. Today, people are held accountable. If they aren’t, then they should be.
At Julie A. Rice, Attorney at Law, & Affiliates our Birth Injury and Wrongful Death Birth Attorneys are the best in the field. We have access to attorneys with over fifty (50) years of experience collectively and we know these cases. We know how to evaluate the case from the beginning, and we know how to work the case towards and through trial. We don’t back down. There is no reason to lower the bar for anyone who is responsible for the injury or death of a child at birth. We work our cases on a contingency fee basis which means that we don’t collect a fee unless you do. We also offer a free legal consultation so please contact us as soon as possible to discuss your case, and we can be reached any time by any of the following means: By phone at 770-865-8654 or 813-363-6664; by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or Contact Us on our website. We look forward to hearing from you and speaking to you about your case.
The most common causes of birth injury and wrongful death births from Obstetrics & Gynecology Medical Malpractice include, but are not limited to:
- DEVIATION IN THE STANDARD OF ANESTHETIC CARE DURING EPIDURAL ANESTHESIA
- DEVIATION IN THE STANDARD OF CARE DURING PITOCIN (OXYTOCIN) MANAGEMENT
- DEVIATION IN THE STANDARD OF OBSTETRICAL CARE DUE TO LACK OF PRENATAL SCREENING
- DEVIATION IN THE STANDARD OF OBSTETRICAL CARE DURING A CESAREAN SECTION
- DEVIATION IN THE STANDARD OF OBSTETRICAL CARE DURING LABOR & DELIVERY FOR FAILURE TO RECOGNIZE SHOULDER DYSTOCIA RESULTING IN ERB'S PALSY
- DEVIATION IN THE STANDARD OF OBSTETRICAL CARE DURING LABOR & DELIVERY RESULTING IN HYPOXIC BRAIN INJURY, FETAL DEMISE
- DEVIATION IN THE STANDARD OF OBSTETRICAL CARE RESULTING IN MECONIUM ASPIRATION
- DEVIATION IN THE STANDARD OF OBSTETRICAL CARE RESULTING IN PREMATURE DELIVERY
- DEVIATION IN THE STANDARD OF OBSTETRICAL CARE WHEN TREATING A DIABETIC MOTHER (GESTATIONAL DIABETES)
- DEVIATION IN THE STANDARD OF PRENATAL CARE AND TREATMENT OF ECLAMPSIA (TOXEMIA)
- FAILURE TO DIAGNOSE & DELAY IN TREATMENT OF ACUTE ABDOMEN DUE TO ECTOPIC PREGNANCY
- FAILURE TO DIAGNOSE & DELAY IN TREATMENT OF ACUTE ABDOMEN DUE TO OVARIAN CYST
- FAILURE TO DIAGNOSE & DELAY IN TREATMENT OF ACUTE ABDOMEN DUE TO PELVIC INFLAMMATORY DISEASE (PID)
You may find more detailed information about each and every one of these causes when you click the link above and it will take you to our Frequently Asked Questions for Medical Malpractice Page and to that specific Medical Malpractice Deviation and/or Failure.
Medical Malpractice is not the only cause for Wrongful Death and Birth Injuries in Georgia. Other cause of such deaths and injuries can be due to:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents:
- Premises Liability Cases such as trip, slip and fall;
- Pharmaceutical Drugs; and
- Medical Devices that are Defective.
As we have outlined herein, it can be difficult to discover the exact cause of a birth injury or death. Medical Experts must be enlisted to assist in the evaluations and it takes a strong team to put together the pieces of not just a puzzle but something more of rubrics cube. Birth Injuries can also result in many injuries, and some may not be fully detected until the child is older. Injuries that can be the cause of birth trauma include, but again, are not limited to:
- Brain Damage can be caused by factors such as the fetus being in the birth canal for too long of a time and/or the strangulation of the fetus from the umbilical cord;
- Erb’s Palsy (a/k/a Klumpke’s palsy, brachial plexus injury or shoulder dystocia) that can be caused if there is the application of too much pressure during delivery, if the babies’ body has an impact on the maternal pubic bone, or of the trauma or stress to the babies’ shoulder causes peripheral nerves to tear or stretch. This can all lead to paralysis that is permanent in the hands and arms.
- Clavicle Fracture results when the babies’ collar bone breaks if there is a difficult delivery vaginally;
- Cerebral Palsy is usually the result of the lack of oxygen to the brain in situations of anoxia or hypoxia, and results most often in the reduction of motor or sensory function and other muscoskeletal problems;
- Pneumonitis, Peritonitis results most often in a birth that lasts too long where the baby is in the birth canal for an extended period of time and the fetus has a bowel movement that is then ingested by the fetus that ultimately results in the amniotic sac retaining meconium and this can result in serious problems if this is ingested or aspirated by the fetus; and
- Facial Paralysis can result, for example, when forceps are used during delivery and there is undue pressure on the facial nerve (a/k/a the seventh cranial nerve) and this can cause paralysis of the face that is permanent.
As we have learned, there can be many factors that result in the injury or wrongful death of a baby at birth. Not all injuries or deaths are the result of negligence on anyone’s part. The injuries or deaths, however, that are a result of one or more negligent acts of another can result in a cause of action for the parents and the child so that the entity and/or person who is responsible is held accountable and so that the family can have the resources to provide for the care of that child for the rest of that child’s life, or to be fully compensated for the loss of that beautiful human life.
Please feel free to Contact Us at any time to discuss your case, and we look forward to speaking with you soon.